Statistics on Winter Home Fires…and preventing them!
According to the US Fire Administration (https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/heating.html)
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
Don’t let your family become a statistic, follow these tips to help prevent home fires.
- Use a metal or glass fireplace screen to keep sparks from hitting nearby carpets or furniture.
- Keep kindling, paper, and décor away from fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn - including furniture, blankets, curtains, and paper products
- Choose space heaters that turn off automatically if they tip over.
- Purchase and use only space heaters that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
If ever you find yourself in a situation that requires assistance after a home fire, SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights is here for you 24/7. Please call us at 216-464-4498.
Top Tips for Fire Safety
One of the scariest events imaginable is a fire in your home. We all want to protect our families and now is a good time to remind everyone of a few tips provided by the American Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire.html)
Top Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
As we start a new year lets take the time to prepare for emergencies.
Should you ever need help after a fire, SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights is here for you 24/7. Please call us at 216-464-4498.
Let us help you stay focused on your holidays….
Let us help you stay focused on your holidays….when disaster strikes your business call SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights or SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike to make it Like it never even happened.®
Everyone is so busy this time of year running about, holiday shopping, tending to visiting family, making the holidays special for loved ones. If disaster in the form of a flood or fire strikes your business it could derail your happy holidays!
SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights or SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike is on call 24/7 for emergency services so that you can keep right on going with your holiday preparations and festivities.
SERVPRO of Beachwood/Shaker Heights/Cleveland Heights has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies or fire and smoke losses as well. Whether your disaster occurs in a small office building, a large warehouse, restaurant, or retail location, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Please call us at 216-464-4498, we are here for you 24/7.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights would like to take a moment to wish all of our local businesses Happy Holidays!
It is easy as a business owner (or manager or employee!) to get caught up in the day to day whirlwind of servicing your customers but we would like to encourage anyone reading this to take a moment to enjoy something around you today that you may have missed charging ahead in the name of success and service.
We have stopped by our local businesses that we have been lucky enough to service in the past to say hello this week and bring some holiday treats! If we haven’t seen you yet, we probably haven’t serviced you previously, and that’s ok. We know that when we show up its because something bad has happened and we do not wish that on anyone as a matter of fact, We wish you a prosperous, healthy New Year that is uneventful and free from disaster!!! We always tell our customers we hope we don’t see them again, unless its out and about in the community!
But if misfortune knocks and you have a disaster, we will be here for you 24/7. Call us at 216-464-4498 and we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Storm Damage? We are here to help!
Storm Damage? We are here to help!
It’s getting to be that time of year again. Time for cold temperatures, rainstorms, snowstorms, sleet and ice. Mother Nature sure can be erratic when it comes to the winter weather here in Northeastern Ohio. In fact, the 2020 Farmers’ Almanac is saying we will be in for a “Polar Coaster Winter”, also stating this upcoming winter season in our area will be “freezing, frigid and frosty”. Not the best news for most of us. As you know, these extreme weather conditions can really take a toll on your property that is exposed to the elements each and every day- like your home. Gradual degradation can make your home vulnerable to water.
Your home can be affected by water intrusion during any kind of winter storm. Winter storms can produce very strong hail, heavy snowfall and below zero temperatures which can cause roof damage, as well as damage to the siding and pipes. Studies show that in 2018 alone, more than an estimated $2 billion in losses were reported due to severe winter weather. We here at SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike are always ready to assist you with storm damage. Whenever water starts to invade your property, call us for help. We work with most major insurance companies to provide quick and easy service to you. Do not let a small winter leak become a bigger problem later. Call your local SERVPRO at 216-464-4498 because we make it “Like it never even happened. ®”
EMERGENCY READY PROFILE (ERP) FOR YOUR BUSINESS
SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike want your business to be ready for any emergency. Whether it’s a water leak, fire damage or a flooded area in your building, SERVPRO can help you be prepared. Below are a few of our most frequently asked ERP questions and answers.
Q: What exactly is an ERP?
A: An ERP is an Emergency Ready Profile. This profile is created with the assistance of one of our trained professionals. Our professionals will meet with your business to document an organized plan of action should an emergency arise. The plan will consist of emergency contacts and phone numbers, facility details, chain of command for authorizing work, and other necessary information for your business. The ERP also establishes your local SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights or SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike as your preferred mitigation and restoration provider.
Q: How much does this cost?
A: There is no cost for this assessment! It is a service SERVPRO is proud to offer at no charge to your company.
Q: How does this benefit my business?
A: No one expects an emergency or a disaster. The key is to have a plan of action already in place prior to an event occurring. The SERVPRO ERP can assist your company develop a response plan to help you get back to business ASAP.
Q: How do I get the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile?
A: That’s the easiest part! Just call us at 216-464-1134 and tell us that you would like to meet with our ERP professional, we will be more than happy to set up an appointment with your business. We can also be reached at sales@SERVPRObeachwood.com to schedule.
SERVPRO. “Like it never even happened.®”
Microbial Growth, call us!
Microbial growth is part of our everyday environment, indoors and out. Sometimes it is nothing to really be concerned about, like when it is outdoors on dead leaves and trees, helping them organically break down; which is great for nature. However, microbial growth in your home is different. Spores can travel through the air and you won’t even notice them because they are microscopic in size. When these spores find moisture, they will attach themselves to it and start to quickly multiply. This is when you may notice a musty, odd odor or even notice a color variation to items being affected. Microbial growth like this may cause issues by producing irritants and allergens. Left untreated, microbial growth can become toxic and can destroy the items on which it is grows.
Once microbial growth is present in your home it may be time for remediation and your local SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike are the experts you need. We have highly trained remediation specialists on staff. Our production team members receive IICRC training and certifications. The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) sets the standards for the cleaning and restoration industries.
With all the rain and damp weather that comes with the fall and winter seasons, the opportunity for microbial growth is a definite possibility in most structures. If you see or suspect microbial growth - do not touch or disturb the microbial growth, contact SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike, we have the training, equipment and expertise to handle the situation and make it “Like it never even happened.®”
Breast Cancer Awareness
October is not only for Halloween, it’s also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month! An entire month dedicated to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research. We all have a woman in our lives that we love- a mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, friend or daughter- and we here at SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike would like to help spread the word and celebrate our breast cancer warriors!
Just like you should check your homes’ smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers each year for proper operation- women of a certain age should have a mammogram. Mammograms can provide early detection for breast cancer. Protect your health like you protect your home! And while you’re at it- wear pink to support those women who have battled breast cancer, join a walk for the cure in your area, sponsor a walker or simply make a donation to your favorite Breast Cancer charity.
We here at SERVPRO hope everyone has a safe, happy and HEALTHY October. Think pink for the cure!
Happy National Fire Pup Day!
October 1st was National Fire Pup Day! This day is set aside to celebrate all the canine firefighters across the country- you know, those adorable Dalmatians that are tantamount with fire houses and fire trucks. These mascots have been associated with firefighters since the 1700s. While men rode on horse-drawn carts to respond to a fire, these brave dogs would run alongside horses and clear the way for safety.
How do you clear the way for safety in your everyday home or work life you may ask? It’s a lot easier job than the Dalmatians had. By being proactive you can provide a safe exit in case of emergency:
- Do not clutter up exit paths- make sure they are always clear. It is against the law to block emergency exits!
- Think of multiple exits strategies in advance based on your location
- Know the locations of fire extinguishers and/or fire alarm stations
- Make sure all smoke detectors are functioning and the batteries are changed at least every six months
- Have a fire evacuation plan
We here at SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike would like to encourage you to prepare for emergencies such as a fire. Let’s spread the word of fire self-preparedness along with celebrating these adorable, courageous animal icons.
National Preparedness Month- Part 2- Preparing for Your Family Pets
National Preparedness Month- Part 2- Preparing for Your Family Pets
As we learned in our last blog regarding National Preparedness Month, September is the month dedicated by the government program FEMA to encourage Americans to be prepared for natural disasters and/or emergencies situations. But what about the safety of our beloved pets? They are family too, after all! SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid / Lyndhurst / Pepper Pike would like to share with you a version of the ASPCA’s list on how to prepare for your pets.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit for your pets:
- Food and water are essential! Make sure you have at least 3 days of water designated solely for each pet. You will also need at least 3 days of food sealed in a waterproof container.
- Keep an extra supply of any medicines required for the care of your pets.
- Have a pet carrier or crate on hand to easily move your pet to a safe location with the rest of your family.
- Don’t forget about sanitation! Include litter and box, newspapers, plastic bags, large trash bags and paper towels. If you have any special sanitation product you use- pack them also.
- Plan for an Emergency:
- Prepare a list of emergency lodging facilities- remember, if you must go to a shelter/Safe Haven, animals may not be allowed!
- Develop a plan with friends and neighbors. Make sure someone is available to evacuate your pets if you are not able to do so yourself. Teach them where the emergency supply kit is located.
- Designate two meet up locations- one in your immediate neighborhood and one in a far-off location. You never know what Mother Nature will bring or where it will happen.
- Make a list of emergency hospitals, the local Humane Society, your vet and the local ASPCA, keep a copy in your supply kit.
- Have your pets micro-chipped; this is the best way to reunite with a lost pet.
All of us at SERVPRO hope you will never need to use your emergency kit, but it is far better to be prepared than scared! However, if you ever do experience a situation which requires the professionals of SERVPRO, know that we are here for your home or business. We can assist with disaster clean up, mold remediation, water or storm damage, as well as fire loss. We are available 24/7 for your needs and we are as close as a phone call away. Contact us on our emergency line any time of day or night at 216-464-4498. SERVPRO- “Like it never even happened.®”