September is National Preparedness Month, Prepare Your Valley View Home!
National Preparedness Month was introduced by FEMA back in 2004 and encourages Americans to be prepared for natural disasters and other emergency situations. This new implementation was an outcome of the tragedies America experienced on September 11, 2001. There are many ways to prepare for emergency situations. According to the American Red Cross’ “Emergency Kit Check List”, here are some thing to pack in your at-home emergency kit in case of any natural disasters in your Pepper Pike area.
- Water: three-day supply, one gallon per person per day
- Food: Choose foods that don’t need to be refrigerated or cooked; high-protein such as energy bars, ready-to-eat soups, and peanut butter.
- Tools: utensils, can opener, napkins, multi-purpose tool, work gloves.
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Radio or mobile device (battery or alternative-powered)
- Personal Items
- Medications: prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Clothing, shoes, and blanket
- Sanitary supplies: toilet paper, diapers, feminine supplies and personal-hygiene items.
- Copies of important documents
- Cash and coins: ATMs/credit cards may not work if the power is out
- Family contact information
- Pet supplies
- Multi-purpose tool, such as a Leatherman, and work gloves
- Comfort items, such as toys, games, family photos
Another important thing to remember is to make sure you and your family have a plan of action to escape your Garfield Heights home. Conduct a fire drill at least twice a year. Have a designated meeting spot in a safe area away from the home. Teach all family members escape plans for a variety of situations.
We hope you will never need to use your emergency kit, but if you ever do experience a situation which requires a professional, know that we at SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast are here for your Newburgh Heights home or business needs. We are able to assist with disaster clean up, water or storm damage, and fire loss. We are open 24/7 and are always only a phone call away. Contact us at 216-464-4498 and we’ll make it "Like it never even happened."®