Celebrate National Preparedness Month with SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast
September is National Preparedness Month- Are You Ready?
What is National Preparedness Month you may ask? Well, it is an initiative introduced by the government program FEMA back in 2004. This project is associated with The American Red Cross and encourages Americans to be prepared for natural disasters and/or emergency situations. This is a direct result of the tragedies our country experienced on September 11, 2001. SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast believe this is a fantastic idea!
There are many ways to prepare for emergency situations. Below you will find The American Red Cross “Emergency Kit Check List” to assist you in your preparation.
- Water: three-day supply, one gallon per person per day
- Food: Choose foods that don’t need to be refrigerated or cooked; high-protein such as energy bars, ready-to-eat soups, and peanut butter.
- Tools: utensils, can opener, napkins, multi-purpose tool, work gloves.
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Radio or mobile device (battery or alternative-powered)
- Personal Items
- Medications: prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Clothing, shoes, and blanket
- Sanitary supplies: toilet paper, diapers, feminine supplies and personal-hygiene items.
- Copies of important documents
- Cash and coins: ATMs/credit cards may not work if the power is out
- Family contact information
- Pet supplies
- Multi-purpose tool, such as a Leatherman, and work gloves
- Comfort items, such as toys, games, family photos
Also, don’t forget to have a plan of action. Your family should conduct a fire drill at least twice a year. Have a meeting spot designated in a safe area. Teach family members when and how to escape in a variety of situations.
All of us at SERVPRO hope you will never need to use your emergency kit, but it is far better to be prepared than scared! However, if you ever do experience a situation which requires the professionals of SERVPRO, know that we are here for your Pepper Pike home or Cleveland business. We can assist with disaster clean up, mold remediation, water or storm damage, as well as fire loss. We are available 24/7 for your needs and we are as close as a phone call away. Contact us on our emergency line any time, day or night at 216-464-4498. SERVPRO, “Like it never even happened.®”