Space Heater Safety Tips
- “Never leave pets and young children alone in a room with a space heater.
- Buy a space heater that has a guard around the heating element. This will help keep kids and pets safe from burns.
- Choose one that’s tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Not only do they meet certain safety standards, but manufacturers have to provide use and care information to consumers.
- Never leave a space heater turned on when you leave the house or go to sleep. Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can form if you’re using a fuel-fired heater, and a fire can start if you’re using an electric model.
- Don’t run several appliances at the same time if you’re using a space heater. In addition, don’t use extension cords with them. This will help avoid a circuit overload.
- Check your heaters regularly – look for frayed wires and remove dust accumulation on grates, grills, coils, and other elements of the heater. All of these are a fire hazard.
- To help prevent shocks, avoid using space heaters in rooms where spills and moisture build-ups are likely, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- If you have an older model, consider getting a newer one that most likely has improved safety features.”
For more information, please continue reading at: http://www.clekis.com/dangers-space-heaters/
SERVPRO of Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Pepper Pike at 216-464-4498….here to help! We service Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Cleveland, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Pepper Pike and surrounding communities. Let our professional team do the cleanup with the proper procedures to keep you, your home or company safe.