Preparing Buildings For Winter
- Roof: inspect and repair. Seal around vents and other protrusions to prevent roof leaks.
- Gutters and downspouts: remove all obstructions and make sure they are properly secured.
- Exterior water lines: drain and winterize to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Drains: clear debris so that water drains away from your property.
- Basements: are you prepared for water backups?
- Trees: inspect trees near structures and walk areas and remove unsafe branches.
- Furnaces: inspect, tune-up, check filters, check venting and assure property clearances to combustibles.
- Space heaters: prohibit or minimize use and assure safe location and operation.
- Wood-burning stoves and chimneys: inspected for safe use.
- Interior pipes: protect from freezing. Be very careful if attempting to thaw a frozen pipe. Do NOT thaw frozen pipes with open flames or torches.
- Faucets: leave dripping during intense cold.
- Alarms: test all fire, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Smoking: it may be cold outside but do not allow smoking inside of your building.
Fire Protection Systems
- Sprinkler pipes: protect any sprinkler pipes that are exposed to temperatures below 40 degrees to protect from freezing.
- Antifreeze systems: have antifreeze systems been tested for adequate concentration in the past year?"
Source: https://www.cinfin.com/business-insurance/loss-control/tips/prepare-your-property-for-winter. Please click the link to continue reading the online article.
SERVPRO of Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and SERVPRO of South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Pepper Pike at 216-464-4498….here to help! We service Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Cleveland, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Pepper Pike and surrounding communities. Let our professional team do the cleanup with the proper procedures to keep you, your home or company safe.