10 Summer Storm Safety Tips
Every year, hail and thunderstorms result in billions of dollars in property damages, especially in spring and summer months. According to Protection1.com, here are 10 quick tips to ensure that your home is prepared for the storm season ahead.
1. Keep an emergency kit in an accessible location in your home with the following items: a flashlight, extra batteries, extra chargers, non-perishable foods, bottles of water, first aid kits, blankets, sturdy/waterproof boots, a whistle, and important paper documents.
2. Get routine maintenance on your home, including your roof and the foundation of the house.
3. Become more familiar with your insurance policy. Know what is covered and what is not.
4. Invest in storm windows.
5. Bring all patio furniture and outdoor appliances indoors before a storm hits.
6. Keep all important or expensive belongings away from the floor in case of flooding.
7. Before a storm hits, park your car in the garage to prevent car damage.
8. Identify spots in your house away from windows and house siding to go to during a severe storm.
9. Cut down any trees or branches that could fall on your house or cars during a storm.
10. Take storm watches and warnings seriously. They can be the difference between life and death of you or a loved one.
If you have suffered damage from a storm or other disaster at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights at 216-464-4498.