Statistics on Winter Home Fires…and preventing them!
According to the US Fire Administration (https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/heating.html)
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
Don’t let your family become a statistic, follow these tips to help prevent home fires.
- Use a metal or glass fireplace screen to keep sparks from hitting nearby carpets or furniture.
- Keep kindling, paper, and décor away from fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn - including furniture, blankets, curtains, and paper products
- Choose space heaters that turn off automatically if they tip over.
- Purchase and use only space heaters that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
If ever you find yourself in a situation that requires assistance after a home fire, SERVPRO of Beachwood / Shaker Heights / Cleveland Heights is here for you 24/7. Please call us at 216-464-4498.